We are looking for a Public Engagement Officer to join NERC at a really exciting time, with lots of interest in environmental science, and how it affects our society. You would be joining a motivated, open and enthusiastic team of communications and engagement professionals, working on delivering a range of exciting projects engaging the public with environmental science research and supporting NERC researchers to do so.
Reporting to the Public Engagement Programme Manager, the Public Engagement Officer is part of the External Affairs and Engagement Team in the Corporate Affairs Directorate, and work collaboratively across NERC. The overall aim is to deliver public engagement activity, including supporting researchers in their public engagement, and building the profile of public engagement and NERC with relevant stakeholders, including those in the academic community. This is in line with the council’s public engagement strategy, as well as NERC’s obligations stated in the Higher Education and Research Act and its role as a commissioner of environmental science.
- Deliver activity created as part of NERC’s public engagement strategy, aligning with UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)’s Strategic Prospectus;
- Assisting the effective commissioning of public engagement activity, partnership working and collaboration (including with NERC Research Centres);
- Deputising for the Public Engagement Programme Manager to represent NERC in UKRI and wider forums to ensure effective listening, coordination and promotion of public engagement initiatives;
- Effectively tailor public engagement to evolving needs through an open approach and continuous improvement and learning
- Supporting and contributing to the other functions in the external affairs and engagement team, as well as working collaboratively across the wider communications team.
For an informal chat about the role, please contact Hannah King, NERC Public Engagement Programme Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Toby Shergold, Head of External Affairs (email@example.com)